HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I went scouting yesterday
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2006, 04:43 PM
davidmil
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I went scouting yesterday

ROOKIE.[8D][8D][8D] Yup, it's tough this time of year. While you're in there you should be looking for food, mast crops etc. Best done after a little rain. Just look for the slightest of difference in ground cover. As deer travel trails they'll nibble causing a lane you should beable to see. I've found deer trail just by feeling the ground under foot. Just have to know what's what. Start at field edges in likely crossing, field entrances etc. REalize of course, just about anything you find this time of year will change in most cases by September or Oct. whenever your season starts. This time of year I generally just take a quick trip through the woods looking for trees for all seasons, trails, learn the ground and see if I can get feel for what's up. Serious stand placement to me is not done until August or Sept. I'm usually hunting from a climber but I do put some in for emergency and guest. Public land that's out. I'd say do it again in August. Your best bet is now to find where they're feeding in the fields and then you can figure out what they're doing and when. You won't see as much field traffic this time of year because the does have fawns and keep them in the woods during daylight. In July and August the bucks will be hitting the fields hard and during daylight. Then about the time the season starts they get scarce again.