HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How accurate are AK47s
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2006, 04:21 PM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: How accurate are AK47s

The few AK's or variants I have shot were not terribly accurate. I certainly would not hunt with them. I used to own a Saiga sporter, which is basically a non assult version of the Ak. It was horrid in the accuracy department. I traded it for a marlin .22 and some paintball stuff.

I suggest you look for a quality SKS and fire good ammo out of it. They fire the same round as the AK but tend to be more accurate. I used to have one of those as well and it was decent, especially with good ammo. I could shoot large jack rabbits at 50 yards or so with it.

The 7.62x39 is a decent round for deer as long as you keep your range in mind and you use premium ammo. It is simular to the 30-30 if you use the right ammo. Don't use that cheap surplus FMJ crap. Get brand name ammo with a loading designed to hunt with. I think 200 yards may be pushing it a bit, but 100 is certainly doable. Really depends on how accurate the gun you get is.

You could probably get a H&R handi rifle cheaper than an AK though and it would be a much better rifle to hunt with.

Paul