HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Met another bowfisher
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Bulzeye
Nontypical Buck

Default Met another bowfisher

Last weekend I got outto DesPlaines Conservation Area a couple of times to do some morning shooting. One day, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself sharing the water with another bowfisherman I had not yet met.

His name is Mike and he appears to love bowfishing as much as anyone I've met.He has heard of the Illinois Bowfishers, but is not currently a member, and to my knowledge, has yet to attend one of our events.

I got one carp early on since he was teasing me by rolling wildly when I pulled up. Then Mike and I teamed up, with him in his waders and me on the shore. This young man and I gave it our best while we talked and got to know each other, but the fish were scarce. We only saw the faintest of sign for quite a while, but no shooters.

I had gotten a tip from a local about a spot nearby, so we checked it out and then went to another part of the park. Shadows were the rule here, and only a precious few of them were close enough to warrant a Hail Mary shot. As we came to a place that wasn't as overgrown as the rest, Mike spotted a fin, but couldn't take the shot from his vantage point. I made space for it on the end of a Muzzy and brought in my very first Shortnose. Thanks Mike. Good eyes. I hope to hear from you and see you at a shoot.

If anyone sees a northern Illinois bowfishercarryinga backpack stuffed with a car battery to power his bow-mounted-light, it's probably Mike. I don't know anyone elsethat hungry to hunt fish. Say hello to him if you see him. This young man seems to know his way around both a bow and a fishing rod.

-Bulz