HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pressure signs this early??????
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 12:46 PM
ShatoDavis

Default RE: Pressure signs this early??????

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis
WOOOOH! BACK UP!Those bullets are long, seating them deeper may cause you to have a compressed load which can cause pressures to skyrocket also.
Contrary to popular myth, COMPRESSED powder charges DO NOT cause pressures to "skyrocket"!

As long as the quantity of powder is not excessive for the bullet being used, compressing the charge will not cause significant increases in pressures. Maximum pressure occurs after the bullet is at least 4 to 5 inches down the bore ahead of the chamber. Compressed charges are quite acceptable as long as the case shoulder is not bulged by seating the bullet, or the compressed charge does not cause the bullet to come out of the case.
Read what I wrote smart @ss. I said "can cause" If you know as much as you pretend to know you know that I'm correct.

Read this next part very carefully!
Compressed loads are not necessarily dangerous. Much depends on the type of powder used and the amount of compression. Generally speaking, compressed loads using slow burning powders are seen frequently in many reloading manuals. Since the overwhelming majority of us do not have the proper test equipment, it is not wise to attempt loads of this kind unless they are obtained from a reputable source. They will be annotated as "compressed" in the text.

I was more concerned that he was using an improper source for his reloading data.

Again, do not attempt compressed loads unless you are absolutely certain of the source. Even then, do not seat the bullet to such an extent that it "crushes" or deforms the propellant in any way.