HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - grunting/rattling how much, how often?
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2002, 01:15 PM
Tazman
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: grunting/rattling how much, how often?

I will share one experience from last year in regards to calling, during bow I had a nice 8 point walk parrelel to me at
about 40 yards to far to shoot and then turn away from me, I hit the grunt once, he stopped and looked and
continued on, I hit the grunt louder he stopped and looked again, but continued on. Man I was flustered, so I gave
him a doe bleat!!! Man that got his attention, he turned right around and headed back to me, I kept him coming my
way for a bit, and bleated a few more times. If I had just used the bleat once he probably would have come all the
way back to me, but I called to often after he turned and once he knew he should be able to see a doe he decided
something was wrong so he took off.

I learned 2 things from this, number one was that given a choice between a possible fight with another buck grunting
at him and hooking up with a honey of a doe bleating that a buck is no different than a teenage boy, they would
rather be a lover than a fighter. The second thing I learned is once you have a deer coming your way, quit calling
unless he turns off in the wrong direction.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club