HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - HUNTING DEER BEDING AREA
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Smokey in PHX

Default RE: HUNTING DEER BEDING AREA

I agree with with Motown. If you put pressure on a bedding area the deer will move out. They like to feel comfortable and safe. Consistent pressure will move them out and into another area. However, good bedding areas are used over and over because they meet certain deer requirements. One group may move out and another may move in because of the characteristics of the area.

Whitetails are very habitual. I have jumped a buck out of a bed in late morning on a hill side and then moved up the mountain about 60 yards. About an hour and half later I saw the same buck sneak back and lay down in the same bed.

If there are a lot of trails running through this thick stuff, and they are very defined, I would hunt the outside of the bedding area. Find the heaviest trails going in and out of the area. These are the main highways so to speak. Then check the down wind side of these trails for a faint narrow trail. This should be the trail the more mature bucks are using. This is the trail I would watch.