HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - cured venison loin
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2002, 05:14 AM
bentstick

Default cured venison loin

Ok i Am going to let you all in on little secret recipe of mine that is absolutely the best

Ingredients:
1 whole deer loin (or whatever your needs are)
Morton Tender quick
water
1 cup of brown sugar
pepper
Garlic
bar b que sauce
Charcoal grill ( no gas grills here )

Ok mix a brine in a large bowl following the directions on the morton tenderquick for making a brine but use half as much tender quick as the recipe calls for. Add 1 cup brown sugar to the mix. place the loin into the brine and place the whole lot into the fridge. now forget about it for four days. on the fourth day remove it. drain off the brine and rinse the loin. refill bowl with water only and return loin to soak for 24 hrs. ( <-----<<< this step is mucho important if it is not done you might as well sit down with a spoon and a bag of salt as this is how the loin will taste.)
Cooking day: prepare charcoal so that the loin can be cooked indirectly ( not over the coals ), at a low temp 325 or so. remove the loin from the fridge season with garlic , pepper , and what ever else you like. ( just dont use any thing with salt ) place on the grill and shut the lid. cooking times will very but cook until it is nearly done. 20-30 mins from what you believe is done coat the whole thing with your favorite bbq and allow it to carmelize. remove and enjoy. I will promise you a treat like know other. its like eating deer candy. Ive served it to people who dont like venison and they couldnt get enough. Try it you wont be let down.

Note: its taken me several cuts of venison to perfect this but make sure You use morton tender quick and not morton sugar cure. The results are disasterous. as a matter of fact I lost a grill to salt contamination / coorosion on my first attempt by using sugar cure improperly.

Edited by - bentstick on 10/31/2002 15:48:32