HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best bullet
Thread: Best bullet
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2006, 01:24 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best bullet

Trial and error is the only way, this leads to experience and shortens the list. First thing I do is pick the bullets suited for the application then start down the list until I find whatI am looking for. You should always research the design of a bullet and how it is intended to be used - this also narrows down your list somewhat. I start development with one bullet and grain sizes I feel fits best. I then work through powder combinations starting out with 2gr increments up to a cross referenced max load for each powder. Promising loads get ear marked and fine tuned by 1 and .5 grains till I determine the best load. I start with suggested or past experience in regards to primers for the test loads. Once I find a load I may switch primers to see if their is any differences. Only change 1 component at a time and record your findings, this make thing a lot simpler.

Accuracy is realitive to the individual, so what might be good for me may not be acceptable for you or vice versa.

As far as the ballistic tips I as well have found them extremely accurate in my rifles. They have performed very well in the field for me and my application.

No easy answer to the best bullet question, you'll have to find what you think will work best and then try them.Or ask for comments from others with more specifics included.