HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Black powder vs Triple 7
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 01:15 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Black powder vs Triple 7

I honestly used to do the same thing, leave a rifle loaded all season. I was a Pyrodex RS user at the time. I had loaded the rifle, and followed all the guidelines of making sure the rifle was not contaminated. Then I was sitting on my stand during modern rifleseason and finally a small deer came down the hill. I looked and it was a legal doe, so I cocked the rifle took aim and smiled knowing I was finally going to get a deer. When that cap popped and nothing happened I could have died. I recapped and the same thing, cap fired and nothing. The deer took off of course.

I then pulled th nipple packed powder, and capped. Nothing... I again, powdered the nipple, checked to make sure the load had not moved and this time it had a long hangfire and went off.

Two years agom I did the same test with an inline and a traditional rifle. This was really a test asI was not about about hunt the next day with the rifles. I had hunted all day with two different rifles, an inline and a traditional. I did the weather proof steps, and stored both of them that night, in the wood shop which was not heated. The next morning the traditional fired like a warm spring day. The inline (my Black Diamond XR of all rifles) did not fire with the first primer but did fire, off the second one.