HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - SE Ohio deer hunters....Need your help!
Old 04-08-2006, 09:40 AM
james/d

Default RE: SE Ohio deer hunters....Need your help!

ORIGINAL: ghemry

Let me know I will be down Nov 1st to help. LOL

I fond when I go to a new area I go to the local proshop. I ask question about what time do they start seeing big deer. I believe when the big boys come out is when the rut truly is in full swing. To many folks see little bucks running around early in the season, and ar convince the rut is here.I also ask about the health of the deer, size(weight), and successrates for the local hunters.Then I check the record books for tha county tosee what others have taken. I know people will flame me and say Trophey hunter, but I do itso I know whatkind of bucks are in the area. If I am in a county with a bunch of 160's on the book then I will pass a 120's. If the county does not have alot bigger bucks, well then I will take a 120 class. All matters on what YOU want. May help may not, good luck.

Chuck Adams does the samething, I read couple of his books.
Thats what i was hoping to find out here. I wanted to know if this area does produce 120" deer and bigger on regular basis. Or is it hit and miss. I don't feel I'm going to be hard pressed to see deer (bucks and does) but hoping to see the bigger bucks. I shot my first P&Y buck last year about 60 miles from this land but only have seen 3 bucks that would make book (while hunting) in the area I hunt now. Was hoping to be able to see more book deer on this new property. What a rush when you see big bucks! Thanks for any more info.