HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whitetail Institute "Extreme"
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 10:49 PM
BuckAlley
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whitetail Institute "Extreme"

Joga, if your soil tested at 6.4, did you add any lime? Did you fertliize the 1 acre at all? The sandy condition could be a contributing factor. But if you didn't lime or fertilize you wasted your time and $. Clover plots do better when your soil is as close to 7 neutral ph as possible. My soil originally tested in the same range as yours. Mine is also a small 1 acre plot. Ihad 3 tons of lime spread on mine, and the test also called for 600lbs of fertlizer I had mixed, and spread myself. It took me 2 yrs to do my foodplot. 1st yr I turned the heavy sod soil, and dragged it out. Later that fall I had the lime spread, and let it sit all winter. The following spring I re-dragged out the plot, then spread the fertilizer. I then broadcast the Clover seed. Dragged it again lightly with a set of bed springs. Just to cover it. Then rolled the whole lot to pack it into the soil.1 month later I had clover growing about about 3" in height. Another month later it was knee high, and I had to mow it for the first time. Since then the plot has been great, and the deer hammer it yr around. They even dig down through the snow to get at whatever they can. If you do it right, you'll get the results you want.