HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - largest trout to date...
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 05:39 AM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default largest trout to date...

yesterday my buddy and i went down to a delayed harvest area to do some early trout fishing.....it was recently stocked...plus the fly shop stocks their own trout every year behind the shop and buys REAL trout....get there and theres guys behind the fly shop...looks like opening day but theres hungry fish there....everyone is nymph fishing....and i see fish rising....looks like blue bugs with white wings.....i tied on a 16 or 18 blue dun....not sure if thats the right bug or not...but i caught one right off the bat....i ran in the flyshop and bought some floatant for dry flys..mine broke and leaked last year...put it on my fly....theres like 10 guys all around me...cast...a monster missed my fly....then 2 more times missed it.....casted again....BAM! fight was on!!! keep in mind i fly fish about once a year.....and have trouble loosing smaller 10-12 inch trout let alone a hog...i got a look at him as did everyone else and i about died....by far my biggest trout...i kept my head on straight and got him in on 3 or 4lb tippet after a 15 min battle....he jumped a foot and a half out of the water...and made a few crazy runs stripping line like no other fish ive ever fought......heres some pics....they kinda dont do his size justice...he wasnt REALLY long.....but fatter then any fish ive ever caught....he was a good 20-24 inches long...and i couldnt get my hand around the tail.....any guess to the weight?? he was an easy 4-6lbs id say...youd have to see the girth and thickness....it was awesome...my biggest trout to date...and on a dry fly infront of like 10 guys that live to flyfish!!! i was so excited! heres some pics...