HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Appropiate Bullet Weight
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2006, 05:59 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Appropiate Bullet Weight

The 130-grain bullet is an excellent choice for all-round use, including varmints and game up to cow elk in size and toughness. I know people who even use a 130-grain for all hunting, but change to a premium controlled-expansion type bullet, like a Nosler Partition, for big stuff.

I spent three years in Alaska, and did much of my hunting up there with a .270. My only bullet choice for Alaskan shooting was the 150-grain Nosler Partition which from my 20" barreled Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine had a MV of only 2800 FPS. Yet it handily killed all game in AK except for brown/grizzly bears with one shot, most of the time. This includes two large black bears of approx. 300 pounds with three shots. When I returned to the Lower 48, I switched to the 130-grain Nosler Partiton in this same rifle, and used that very successfully for all game including large mulies and elk. (My two best .270 loads = 130 grain Nosler Partition, 55.5 grains IMR 4350, Fed. 210 primers, WW brass. 150 grain Nosler Partition, 53.5 grains IMR 4350, Fed 210 primers, WW brass. I once also used the Sierra 110-grain with 58 grains of IMR 4350 for shooting porcupines and jackrabbits. This load spread them all over the Zuni Mountains in western New Mexico!!)

Good luck! The .270 is a great all-round cartridge. Just put your bullets in the right spot, and it will deliver! (The few varmints I've shot with a .270 were pretty much demolished-if you want to use a coyote hide, the .270 may do too much damage, regardless of the weight of bullet you hit it with!!)