HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Worst Day in The Woods... whats your
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Mike Hill
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Worst Day in The Woods... whats your

Back in 2003 I got burned pretty bad at work 2 weeks before hunting season. I missed bow season and shotgun season. Finnialy I got the doctors permission to go outfor the opener ofmuzzle loading season. Well as luck would have it no one had been hunting in my little piece Ihad been scouting before my accident, which pushed deer in there to hide. I hadden't been on stand 20 min. when a huge buck came walking out. I stood and took aim, but there was brush between he and I so I waited. Well he stood there for what seemed eternity and I was afraid to moveto put the gun down so I began shaking trying to hold it up. I made the mistake of taking the shot through the brush. He took off like a bolt of lightning. I went over and checked, sure enough I hit him. I began following the blood trail which led me right into the swamp. The weather had been pretty warm for the past couple of days but I really wanted this huge buck so I followed on the ice. I knew better but big bucks make us do stupid things sometimes. Well after following for about20 min. I fell through the ice. The water was only about 1 1/2 feet deep but the muck was 2 feet deeper. I tried to get back up on the ice but just as my other foot was comming out of the muck I would break through the ice again and that foot got stuck in the muck. I have to tell you after 5 hours of this I was exhausted and was afraid it would get dark and I would freeze to death out there all night. Luckly I had my cell phone with me and I called a friend who called out the police and fire dept. After a couple of hours the coulden't find me and by now I was big news on all the TV channels. You guessed it a local TV channels helo found me and got the fire dept. to me. Also the police and Game Warden with a police dog came in. By the time the dog. cop and warden got to me they were not dressed right the dog was wining and the men were blue. There was no way they or I could walk out so a Cost Guard helo was sent out just before dark to pluck us out of the swamp. Every one was fine thank god. I was treated for hiypo thermia and released as were the other law enforcement officers. But the worst part of the whole ordeal was being hounded by the news and papers. I was suspended form work for 5 days as they said I should have been at work if I could be out hunting. The didn't care that my Doc told me I coulden't go to work. Well that my worst I could on but thats the just of it. Mike