HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Irish Setters:Are they any good?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2006, 05:57 AM
rednalpu

Default RE: Irish Setters:Are they any good?

I should add tha up here in Canada, and I expect to some degree in the USA, a number of show breeders are getting Field Dog Junior - similar to your Junior Hunter, on their show dogs. Then, when an unsuspecting buyer that wants a hunter comes along, they pull out the pedigree and point to the Junior "titles" their dogs have. Up here, it has contributed to more than one unhappy hunter that ends up taking up golf!
Drives me CRAZY!! Let's face it, that pup is virtually usuless afield (aside from the rare exception) but that guy, gal or eveb worse whole FAMILY are stuck with it for how many years?!?!?!? Youask those youngkids if they wantto have "Cuddley" replaced 'cause he can't find diddley and his coat gets him hung up on the lawn...........NOT LIKELY!
As responsible aficionados of fine field dogs, we need to better educate folk in general. I try but recently, a chap fell prey to the old, "Well why don't you just stop in....." These unscrupulous breeders know that if they can get you and your spouse in the door, they likely have a sale. Have you ever seen a little pup you didn't think was"cute"? The uninformed folk get fished into a deposit and then .....it's all over.
Happened again recently up here. Then I heard that the single chap's lifestyle was being cramped by the (showbred) pup. Bottom line....it's gone!