HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Bird Dog Trainers
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2006, 07:16 AM
porknbeans

Default RE: Best Bird Dog Trainers

Personally, I believe that the best trainer for your dog, is yourself. You may not have the most experience, patience, exposure, awards or time, but what the training process will teach you about yourself and your dog is invaluable. This isn't to say that you shouldn't ask for help or even use a trainer as a supplement to your training, quite the opposite. Find a training method/person that aligns with your personality and beliefs (be honest with yourself here) and then immerse yourself in everything that is available at your disposal. Seminars, DVD's, books, doing it. If you feel you still want to take your dog to a professional trainer, again align yourself with one that believs/trains like you would like your dog to be trained. Because, after you get the dog back you will still need to maintain the method and system instilled by the trainer. While the dog is at the trainer, make every effort possible to work with the trainer and your dog to understand consistant commands and practices. Again, this is my opinion. I don't spend as much time with my dog as I should, I'm not as patient as I could be, and I certainly don't have the most experience or a single award. I did find a training method I believe in and I do go to seminars and read books to help me out. I have created a great bond with my dog and we have succeeded and failed together. Good luck in your decision.