HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 5 stages uf hunting
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2006, 02:45 PM
PA Bow/Flinter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 5 stages uf hunting

That's a pretty good little read there. I don't know where I am. I fall intoall but one of thecategorys for one part or another.

I like to shoot a lot, but I do that on the range, I keep percentages in my mind of how many misses to kills I have.
Right now it's:
4 for 5 on the rifle...one missed running shot that I want to chop my finger for off now. I never should have taken the shot, but I was young and dumb[:@].
2 for 4 for the bow...missed one clean 4 years ago, drilled the second last year, wounded one this year (another bad shot by me[&o]), then drilled the 4th later on this year.
2 for 2 with my flintlock.
I also went 27 for 30 with my rifle hunting groundhogs this past summer. Ranges where between <1 and 200 yds.

Then I limited out once in my hunting career, last year. (3 for three on shots) But I soon learned that 3 deer is more then enough meat for two people.

I have also been through the Trophy Stage as well. This year I passed on numerous numbers of small bucks, and deer in general, just so I could continue to hunt.

I experienced the method stage as well this year. Aside from the three day bear season and groundhog hunting, my rifle never left the safe for a hunting adventure. I only took my bow or flinter out duringthe huntingseasons.

I guess I'm not sure I've hit the Sportman's Stage yet, but I would think I'm pretty close. The last two years or so, I've really noticed a change in my attitude about why I hunt.

So, that's where I am. Kind of all over.