HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Irish Setters:Are they any good?
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Windwalker7
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Irish Setters:Are they any good?

When I was about 20 [ I'm 41 now ] I had an Irish setter named Brandy.Someone was giving him away. He was about 8 months old. I'm no gun dog expert, but that dog loved to hunt.He never had any kind of formal training other than me just taking him out in the field. I can still remember the first time I saw him point a pheasant. I never saw a dog point before. I watched him sniffing around real fast and acting all excited. Then suddenly he locked into a point right in front of me. I took a couple steps and flushed two hens. He did chase the birds as they flew out through the field. He would always range out in front at about 50yds, zig zaging back and forth. When ever we would change direction, I'd just whistle and he'd swing around in front. He was very well behaved and would come when called. Basically he hunted just on instinct. I didn't teach commands [ whoa, heal, down, etc...] He was just a house pet that we'd take along on pheasant hunts. He loved to hunt and listened well , although he was clumsy.