HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hevi Shot and such,am I missing something?
Old 01-29-2006, 06:24 PM
maytom
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hevi Shot and such,am I missing something?

ORIGINAL: sour01

I would have to say you are right. I used Winchester 3.5" HV #4's and rolled several longbeards. But for me, and this is just me, I have enjoyed seeking the best pattern. It has been fun, albeit not cheap. It has just been another aspect of the sport that I personally have enjoyed. I even bought Nitro shells this year and they are real expensive---but they pattern like a dream.

There is nothing magic about Hevi Shot---but they do pattern a bit denser and pack a punch. But you are right. Dead is dead and if you don't see the need to spend the money---you probably have more sense than I. I have just enjoyed the search.
Well stated, that was my going to be my very response as well!!!

The search for the ultimate pattern out of a certain choke and load was my "Holy Grail" for many years. The Rhino choke and Nitro Hevishot loads finally gave mewhat I have been searching for. By all means, if your currently happy with your present choke, load, and gun, I agree, why fix something that isn't broke. But, I wanted the best pattern all the way out to 40-45 yards, but that's just what myself and apparently some others have been striving for all along. Right now, the price of Nitro loads have gone up, so they are now getting quite expensive. I want to try out some of the new Hevi-13,Winchester & Federal heavyweight loadsas soon as my current supply of Nitro shells are all used up. "IF" these new shells pattern as good, I'll switch.

Lead or copper plated lead shot will surley get the job done, never said they woundn't. But,the Hevishot pellets,are a muchdenser, harder hitting pellet, at a smaller size than comparable lead. Harder hitting and better patterns = quicker kills, less chance of wounding, and better performancedown range. These are the reasons that I switched to Hevishot. Proven performance,nomarketing gimmickhere.