HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - colorado elk hunt
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2006, 12:59 AM
Hungry Horse
Spike

Default RE: colorado elk hunt

107.24-39.81 That lat and long would be Slide lake on Marvine creek in theWhite RiverNational Forest, Rio Blanco county, Colorado found on pack trail 1823 in the Flat Top Wilderness area, west of Trapper Lake.Page 35 of the Colorado Atlas and Gazetteer. TheWhite Rivernational Forest elk herd numbers 47,910 2003 post hunt population. with a bull /cow ratio of 27/100 It is Colorado's largest elk herd. A lot of research and time will be required on your part to become a succesful elk hunter, unless your real lucky. I would say that this area, the San Juan area S/W Colo, and the Grand Mesa area are 3 good places to start your research. I would purchase a Colorado Atlas and Gazetteer available in Walmart and get a copy of the Colo Big GameHunting regulations to start. A subscription to Colorado Outdoors is another good tool available on the Colorado Department of Wildlife web site. Also research the Colorado DOWweb site for harvest statictisc per GMU. Determine if the unit you want to hunt is an OTC over the counter lisc or is a limited draw lisc. Check outHuntingnet.com,bowsite.com, and Monster muleys.comfor a wealth of information from experienced elk hunters in their state forums and big game conferences. Lots of information out there to help you become successful . Hoped I helped you get a good start. Good luck on your journey ! HH