HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Follow Up Regarding Paka's Rotating Peep
Old 01-19-2006, 01:20 PM
BigJ71
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Follow Up Regarding Paka's Rotating Peep

Are tubes with peeps the way to go? It all depends on how anal you are about setups, and your experience level. These kind of peeps are generally for those with less experience or those who can't or don't want to deal with peep rotation.
That statement couldn't be further from the truth.

I use a tube style peep. Infact, Iswitched back to it. The reason? It doesn't matter what string is on your bow there is still a chance your peep will rotate slightly. Weather has alot to do with it. Now the higher quality strings are far better that what most bows come with but they will still move.

I only hunt so this is from a hunters perspective. I want my peep to be where it's supposed to be every time I draw back my bow. In the heat, rain and freezing temps. I switched to a no tube style peep years ago and suffered just as most do. The older style latextubes were heavy and prone to breaking, but the newer silicone tubing is by far and away better than the older rubber/latex ones. So I switched back, glad I did.

I noticed no additional noise and didn't loose and speed either. I also noticed that when I snap the silicone tubing it doesn't have the force as the rubber tubes do. I even went as far as to simulate a snapped tube and it barely made it back to the peep. The key isto have it long enoughjustto turn the peep. This putsthe least strain on the tube so if it were to break it won't hurt anyone. Another thing is to use those little tube clips that attach to your cable instead of tying them like we used to do. Alot of the breaks came from the knot on the cable. This way all you do is slip the tubing on the clipjust like you do on the peep.

That old wivestale is just that.......a wivestale.I knew alot of bowhunters back in the mid to late 80's whenwe allhad tube stylepeeps, I never heard of someone hurting themselves with peep tubing. I heard alot of stories of tubes breaking (including my own) but no one including myself ever got hurt. We used to tie a spare tube around the riser for a quick replacement in the field.

Replacementsilicone tubing can be had for under $4.00 so I change minetwice a year (just before hunting season and right after) This ensures me that it won't snap because it's dried out. I probably don't have to change it that often, but I know for sure that it will work.Before anyone says it, there isalways a chance of it getting damaged while you are walking and such, but then again so canalot of other things on your bow as well.

To me it's ano brainer, With the tubing my peep will be where it's supposed to be every time. Nothing wrong with tubeless peeps, and with a quality string most will stay put......maybe.

No, you didn't just put a set of cheap hub caps on your vette.