HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How many of you have had a dangerous Grizz Encounter
Old 01-02-2006, 09:14 PM
huntnmuleys
Fork Horn

Default RE: How many of you have had a dangerous Grizz Encounter

never seen one here in wyoming, but i hunt a mountain range that so far doesnt have much of a grizz population.

this fall in alberta on an elk and black bear hunt, the guides had lots of grizz stories. i loved it. wanted to see one really bad. day 3 i got a good look....

my guide and i, as well as the one other guide in camp (other hunter shot a 6x6 opening day, and didnt have a bear tag) were riding back toward camp. pretty close to dark, we had been on some bulls, but nothing big enough. anyway, the trail we were on was an old fire trail, pretty well overgrown. my guide was riding in front, than me, than the other guide. we rounded a corner and there was a giant silverback griz standing in the trail, eating some berries. were about 40 yards away. i was loving it, but my horse was not. found out later that a year before it had been charged hard by a griz in the same area. anyway, we watched the old bugger for a bit, and i then asked my guide how the hell we were gonna get back to camp, it was really thick off the trail and nearly dark. guides said they would yell and charge, most times the bear runs like hell. well, they did, and when they started kicking and yelling, and that big bear looked up, my horse lost it! started kicking like hell, and turned and took off full bore going the wrong way! i had never rode a horse in my life, what a rodeo. i actually made my 8 seconds, and even got her stopped within a hundred yards or a little more. probably would have fell off, but when she started kicking i got a cramp in my left glut (ass cheek) so bad i was nearly in tears. hurt to bad to be afraid. both guides said i did real well in style points, and with me making the full 8 seconds probably would have won the damn rodeo!

rest of the trip back to camp, my horse was so jumpy. everything that looked black we nearly started it again. what a ride

actually though, i think that darn griz is still running.......