HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?
Old 12-22-2005, 04:53 PM
jf5

Default RE: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

AR's a chance to allow at least SOME male deer to get by there first season. It does help increase the age structure of bucks.
It allows the late born 1 1/2 spikes and forks and the few genetically inferior deer to live. The added pressure on the best potential 1 1/2 virtually assures that class to be wiped out.

The only way to implement some restriction in state likeNY is too allow a hunter to count points on one side. Its not perfect, and yes, some promissing young bucks will be taken. But they have just as much chance to be taken without A/R.
See above - not some promising young bucks, but MOST promising young bucks will be taken. Without points based AR, someone can shoot a spike or fork if they see one and a 6 point would then get a walk.

As I said before - if YOU want bigger deer, then YOU must not shoot ANY YOUNG bucks and encourage others to follow.Set your own personal goal and let others do the same.

Steve
I disagree, since I don't think it will put muchmore pressure on the legal 1.5 YO any more than if A/R's are not in effect.I also don't agree that ALLlate born spikes or small forks are genetically inferior.There are allot of other factors that come into play with antler development.It also hasn't been discussed as to what AR would apply. 2, 3, or 4 points a side?? Thats another thing to think about if you areconcerned that the genetically superior 1.5 YO get shot off.

To me,the bottom line is it will allow more bucks in general to make it past their first hunting season.

But hey, I am beating a dead horse here. Good luck and be safe out there guys. I am done...