HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help me understand.
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 02:56 PM
3Ddepression

Default RE: Help me understand.

OK fair questions!
As with all hunting my guess is that traditions are important. Hunting in general is a part of the cultural legacy. Id rather hunt anything with a dog than without one.Justlove to bring a 4-legged friend along.Then there is of course always a wrong way to do anything.

There are two main streams that I know, depending on drive duration but the main thing is that the dog find the deer and make it move and then follows after. A big dog should not follow a deer for long. 5 min or so. just to push the game past the prepositioned shooters. Many breeds work this way, like my terrier for instance. It will bark and that sure is something Im conditioned to find exiting. Dog hunts are more compressed. It is faster and more action oriented. When the number of hunters are small and the land is big or with many places to hideit is more efficient with adog. As porknbeans said, collaboration and expectation is a large part of the worth. Hunting in general brings me extra joy when a new plan is proving its worth. I find that alot when training and hunting with my dog. This way of hunting also gives the exitement of not knowing what kind of game thatwill come before you. My terrier and my brothers SGP will both drive anything. Can be hares, deer, moose, pigs, foxes or whatever. Sometimes there is a shot and sometimes there are not.

A small dog like a dachshound and such will hang in for about an hour but in such slow pace that the deer is less stressed. It moves along when the dogs closes in. They can circle in a quite small area and you hear the barking moving in diffrent directions. The minimum permitted area here for this is approx 100 acres.

As for other animals like bear, some boars and moose and badgers, they will sometimes be pinned down so to speak. They will take the fight making attacks at the dog that keeps out of harms way and attack if the animal decides to leave. Then the game again turns on the dog and so on. This gives the hunter time to stalk for a shot.

Sorry that this turned into a book.

This is the breeder that sold me my pup.