HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1st time elk hunter questions.
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 12:39 PM
AppleOnMyHead

Default RE: 1st time elk hunter questions.

Don't get me wrong, I do plan on doing some training. But the shape thing will be no problem, especially if I'm packing the meat out down hill. I've spent days (12+ hrs.) hiking with 70 lb packs. When it comes to phyical shape, my weakness is upper body strength, and lucky for me, cardio and strong legs will be more important for this trip. I try to work out on a regular basis, so training won't be a major burden on my daily schedule. Altitude is a factor I have very little control over. I've done fine scrambling 14'ers in the past,as well as hiking at the altitude I plan to hunt at.

What do you, and other hunters, do for training? Run or jog, hike, bike, stair machine, or other maybe. When I was doing lots of hiking I would load my pack with 50 -70 lbs and crank up the stair machine,just short of a running pace,for an hour or so, then jogfor2 - 3much beloved flat-lander miles. I hated that stair machine, but I think thats what worked best for me given I didn't have the time to do a regular pace for multiple hours.

Also, I maybe on horse back or have access to a horse for pack out. That would be nice.