HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shipping accessories to Canada (Heads Up)!
Old 12-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Tallyman

Default RE: Shipping accessories to Canada (Heads Up)!

I have been selling scopes, mounts, bipods, muzzle brakes and other "firearms accessories" on the internet for several years. I ship in the United States and worldwide, including Canada, Australia, England, Europe and other anti-firearms countries. I have never lost a shipment or had one returned because of a customs problem. My philosphy has always been "You’ve got to understand the rules if you want to play the game."

Here are some of the rules
:

Rule #1
. UPS Customs Inspectors are UPS employees!! Stuff coming into the US is inspected by American UPS employees. Stuff going into Canada is inspected by Canadian UPS employees. UPS knows their employees are not too bright and, therefore, must cover their derierres. UPS makes extra rules so that UPS will be "safe." They are a private company and must kiss up to the Canadian anti-gun politicians or lose their license to operate in Canada. Figure it out!

Rule #2
. Ship everything you can by US mail. If you read the International Postal Customs Regulations for Canada on the US Post Office website (www.USPS.com) , the only firearms items prohibited are: "Firearms, including prohibited and restricted weapons, may not be mailed to Canadian addressees from outside Canada."
[ul][*]There is nothing mentioned about firearms accessories. Firearms accessories are not "weapons". [*]I ship everything I can via Priority Mail in the US and by Global Priority Mail or Airmail Letter Post overseas, including Canada. I use flat rate envelopes when I can. I can ship up to four pounds in a flat rate envelope to any place in Canada for $7.00. I first enclose the items in a plastic Priority Mail or Global Priority Mail envelope and stuff that into the cardboard Flat Rate envelopes.[/ul]Rule #3 : Never refer to guns or firearms related terms on customs forms. Keep the description non-descriptive.
[ul][*]Mark the customs form as a "gift" or "other" [*]A rifle scope is a "telescope." [*]A scope mount is a "telescope mount" [*]Scope rings are "telescope mounting rings" [*]A rifle bipod is a "bipod." [*]A muzzle brake is a "gas tube."[/ul]Rule #4: Always declare "used, wholesale value" on customs forms.
[ul][*]Ref: (www.USPS.com) "Goods valued under 20 Canadian dollars (about 16-17 US dollars) are duty and excise tax exempt. Goods over 20 Canadian dollars will be subject to the applicable duties and excise taxes. Gift shipments received by mail that are valued under 60 Canadian dollars are duty and excise tax exempt." [*]Split shipmentsto keep weight under 4 lbs and value under US $16.00[/ul]Rule #5: Wrappackages really well. Use lots of tape. If the package looks like it will be hard to open for inspection, the inspectors will look for something easier to open.