HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cold weather miracle plant
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 01:21 PM
sean600classic

Default RE: Cold weather miracle plant

The past 2 years we have tried different brassicas/turnip type plantings. We currently have Full draw, Green Patch, and Maximum blends. IMO, the deer favor Green Patch by a wide margin over Maximum, then Full Draw. Every day we have double digit(oftentimes over 20)deer sightings in the Green Patch plots. We are already working on new areas for more Green Patch plots, it's that good.

I planted Maximum in the spring behind my house, it grows to over 5 feet tall with a strong stem. Even with the snow, it still stands and the deer consume the large leaves. This past week they really hit it hard.Maximum does not have the turnip that GP has.

The people that hunt neighboring properties are saying there are not that many deer this year, it's because they are residing on the property we manage. The deer bed only 25-50 yards from field edges. I guess when there's good food and decent cover, there's no reason to go anywhere else. We try not to disturb those bedding areas which obviously helps a lot.

We plant Green patch in mid August, so you have plent of time to prep. your field(s). If it's your first time, go with Green Patch, it's easy and has great results.