HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do NOT risk your life NEEDLESSLY...
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 08:38 PM
vc1111
Giant Nontypical

Default Do NOT risk your life NEEDLESSLY...

I've posted this every year for the last four years on this fine website, hoping that maybe I'll help even just one hunter prevent serious injury or death. This will be year number five for this same message...here goes:

Four the last 4 years I've written threads on this board about using rope and ascenders for fixed positions treestands; I've outlined in detail how it works, how to set it up, where to get the ascender and the rope, etc.

BobCo19-65 is the only other climber on this board that I've heard of that tried it. As I recall he was one of the board members that was very curious about the ascender threads that I wrote. Good for you, Bob. Spread the word, my friend. You may save a life...or more than one.

Here the facts:

Using an ascender properly can eliminate 99.9999 percent of the chance of falling from your treestand and being seriously injured. Yes, you can still fall, but the ascender stops your fall no matter where you are in the climb, whether your 3 feet off the ground, half way to the stand platform, climbing into or out of the stand platform, (which is where most fall occur), etc.

Like BobCo10-65, you will wonder how anyone would ever climber without a full body harness and the simple system of using an ascender, a "caribiner" to attach it to your harness, and a piece of rope to virtually eliminate the risk of serious injury from fixed position treestand hunting.

I use it on all of my fixed position stands ALL the time.

Guys, pay attention to what BobCo19-65 posted after using the ascender system that I've been writing about the past years:

[blockquote]quote:

With it, I am protected; all the way up the tree, getting into a portable, hunting from the portable, getting out and climbing down". For the extra $60 (you can get them much, much cheaper), and the rope, it is well worth it.
[/blockquote]

...Then ask yourself this question: What's it worth to virtually eliminate the risk of dying or spending the rest of your life in a wheelchair?

An ascender is a piece of gear that mountain climber use to prevent falling to their deaths. It works great, perhaps even better for fixed position treestand hunting.

Here's what it looks like; this one is shown with the caribiner attached. It costs only $35, fits in the palm of your hand, and operates silently. It bites the rope if you fall and stops your fall...but it will easily slide upward and only upwards as you climb. When you go to climb down it has a release that allows you to simply slide it down the rope with you as you climb down...but no matter what, if you happen to fall, it engages, bites the rope and stops your fall. IT IS EXTREMELY EASY TO USE!

Here's link where you can actually buy one.

http://www.mountaingear.com

Do a simple search for "Ropeman Mark II Ascender"

And no folks, I have no interest in the website, nor do I sell the stuff in any way shape or form. It is just that the idea for hunters is so remarkably effective that I cannot help but want to share it.

If anyone needs help, shoot me an email.

I would respectfully request that the mods make this a sticky for a few months.