HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to deal with people running dogs
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 03:25 PM
m.t.hands
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How to deal with people running dogs

i have been on both sides of the fence, there are law abiding dog hunters and there are scumbags, the same holds true for stand hunters also, i have not hunted w/dogs near as much as timber has but have done a little, really not my cup of tea. but i have heard people say dog hunting is like setting the woods on fire, well that just ain't the case, i have watched deer pull some of the slickest moves on a pack of hounds you could imagine, one day we jumped 4 does, we were running some cull beagles, (rabbit dogs gone bad[:@]), the beagles kept after the four does just moving them along ata really slow pace, my uncle lit a cig, i was taking a bathroom break, neither of us had guns w/i 10 ft of reach, when the prettiest 10pt came busting out of the brush less than 25 yards from us, he would have let everyone of us walk right on by had we not stopped, the deer get very wise to trucks tailgaits and doors and dog boxes opening, they don't get big by being dumb, could they have killed a deer run from your property? yes, but with less noticed pressure i would rather hunt your property and enjoy it. i don't have anything against dog hunters, but if i witnessed them doing the things you mentioned i'd go straight to the dog running clubs president and i'd take the game warden with me, if that dosent help, and i am hesitant to mention this, go to the land owner, the reason i am a little reluctant to do the latter is that some property owners don't want to deal with the hassle and will stop letting anybody hunt, best of luck, i know it can be an agravaiting deal