HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need advice on helping new hunter
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 07:04 AM
Bob H in NH
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need advice on helping new hunter

Sometimes that's just the way it is, its amazing the things you have to talk them through after you've been hunting for years [8D]

My two sons have both been on youth deer weekends. My oldest took his first deer while hunting with my best friend, I take my younger son. Last year he took his first, but it was his second chance of the day. First one in the AM he had a nice buck at 25 yards broadside. The converstation went something like:

Son: "There's a deer over here, what do I do?"
Friend: "Shoot it"
Few seconds go by, no BOOM. Friedn looks aroudn the tree, sees buck NICE buck standing there feeding. Wonders why no BOOM. Looks at my son who is now trying to lay down into a prone position [&:] Looks back at deer, deer is now watching my son. Ummm no shot.

Son: "do you think he'll come back"
friend: probably not.

During lunch we decided we had to walk them through the shot step by step. When I asked my son why he tried to go prone when he's never shot a gun that way in his life:

"I don't know" was the reply. Adrenanline, gotta love it.

That afternoon, a skipper went by, friend walked my son through it all step by step and could see the gun wobbling, my son took the deer and I've never seen a smile so big!

This year, my younger son had his chance.

We were sitting against a tree at 90 degrees to each other figuring the deer would come out infront of him and I could just whisper in his ear. Well deer came out infront of me. My son turned my way, and got up on his knees (mistake one, should have just swiveled his butt). One of the does came walking at an angle to pass by us about 15 yards, I told him to shoot when he gets a shot. Again, NO BOOM. Deer locked up staring right at us around 15 yards away, again no BOOM. I could see him looking through the scope at the deer. Deer blows and bolts off.

Me: "what happened, why didin't you shoot when she was standing there?"
Son: "she was facing us, I didn't know I could shoot her in the neck"
Me: "Ok, what happened while she was walking"
Son: "I can shoot while they're walking?"

We left it at you NEVER make a mistake NOT shooting, when you're not sure you don't pull the trigger. Simple as that.

Different people react differently to the rush when there's a deer there, took my son about 10 minutes to stop shaking. Be patient, keep it fun and they will keep hunting.