HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any good things to eat while in the stand?
Old 11-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Bassman4940
Spike

Default RE: Any good things to eat while in the stand?

Hey Veener,
I wouldn't worry too much about the DNR thinking you are baiting if you have some fruit or veggies to nibble on and to help you stay warm. Now if you carried an entire sack of carrots or something that might be a different story!
I usually take some fruit or granola bars, and a PBJ sandwich to keep the calories up and keep warm. If it's especially cold, I sometimes will bring a small thermos of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate.
Yeah I know they all produce scent, but when it gets so cold that I can no longer sit still, it's time to take a break and drink a hot liquid, then I can sit still and concentrate on looking for deer.
As for the smell, a few years ago the temps were in the single digits and the wind blowing steady, and I needed a quick warm up. I had just poured a cup of coffee and a 7 pointer came in right behind my stand and downwind of me. He either didn't smell it or didn't care, and stood there broadside for an easy 40 yard shot.
Anybody else have a similar experience?