HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Repairing rubber boots?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 05:28 PM
zekeskar

Default RE: Repairing rubber boots?

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

Go get yourself a bicycle tire repair (patch) kit at the store. Follow the directions. Rubber patch and rubber cement. I don't think they come in camo, just black. Put the patch on the inside if the tear is located somewhere that itwon't bother your foot, then the camo pattern won't be compromised.
I'd never put the patch on the inside -the water wouldseep through the crack and undermine the glue/rubber bond. Mabye it wouldn't make any difference, but it doesn't seem to be the right way to go to me. Maybe you could run a little siliconein the crack to seal it from the outside with the patch backing it up from the inside.

Silicone is good stuff.

What I've always done is just put the patch on the outside - how could a black patch compromise camo in any significant way? Use a green, brown or gray patchif you think that's a better color for your boots. Patch kits come in all of these colors.

I've sometimes used RTV silicone for as the cement for rubber patcheson boots and waders - it sometimes works better than the rubber cement that comes in patch kits. Perhaps because the rubber cement is designed for a specific type of rubber and the boots and waders are made out of a different type? I don't know why it sometimes works better, but I do know that rtv silicone will outlast the boot. Actually any silicone gluewould work, I think. It takes a while to set up compared to rubber/contact cement, so you have to make sure the patch stays in place and is pressed against the surface during that time.