HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - passed on a 10pt opening morning
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 08:31 AM
Georgetownboys

Default passed on a 10pt opening morning

Well. . .just after first light opening morning a nice young 10pt walks out at about 220 yards. I would guess he was 2/3 years and scored about 120. I watched him for about 20 minutes until I got enough light to check out his rack real well. G-2's about 9" but the G-3 where only about 3", very symetrical but, I figured I should not burn my trophy tag so fast and I passed. My lease allows one trophy and one cull buck per paid hunter. My boys are allowed does and culls but that's it.

It would have ended up being the biggest Deer on the lease opening weekend, the only other buck that was considered big enough to shoot was a 9, just out past the ears with one of the G-4s but a little nub. He should have passed on him too, but he was a special guest and he may not get to hunt to many more times this season.

I am torn, should I have taken him or be patient (sp?) and hope I get the big dog later in the season. It ended up being the ONLY deer that I could have taken a clean shot on all weekend.

Did see a pair of foxes that played around me for about 20 minutes. Could not find a reason to kill one though so we just watched them.

Of the 14 shooters on this place they ended up with 4 does and the one 9. call me spoiled but I was not that impressed with this new lease. Yeh a couple of guys came back and talked about the huge Deer they shot and missed or the other guy about how the sun crapped up his veiw through the scope, but they are still out there so they don't count.