HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - [Deleted]
Thread: [Deleted]
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2002, 09:49 AM
Strut&Rut
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which Summit stand for bowhunting?

I chose the Viper, and actually wanted the bar...for those pesky bucks that always seem to come in from BEHIND you. The bar is sturdy enough to sit on...hence, you can sit on the bar and shoot behind the tree, or rest the back of your legs on the bar and not worry about stepping off the platform.

As already mentioned, it also works great to rest your bow or gun on.
I also tested several models, and could set up the Viper much quieter than the Cobra/BM. The advantage of sitting on the bar allows for greater control raising/lowering the foot platform, thereby you can control the amount of cable touching on the back of the tree---that's what causes noise on a climber.

Also, for example I had a nice buck sneak into a pasture after shooting hours the other night, and he never heard me while I was climbing down---I only saw him (~60 yards away) after I was down to 8 feet above the ground. By sitting on the bar, I was able to sit comfortably in that exact position until he meandered off back through the hemlocks he apparently came out of---undetected. With a hand climber, I probably wouldn't have seen him at all, and he probably would have detected me climbing out of the tree.

Just some thoughts/points to choose the Viper. However, if you are very comfortable with sit-down shots, I would probably choose the Cobra. Definitely spend the extra $$ for the back cushion though...definitely!!!

S&R