HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are we really better off as hunters today?
Old 10-31-2005, 10:00 PM
tangozulu
Typical Buck

Default Are we really better off as hunters today?

I'm a bit of an old dog but I was just thinking how complicated hunting seems to be now-adays. I remember when the only outdoor gear was army surplus and it was awfull. No one wore camo. No one had scents or electronic calls or trail cams. Coleman was about the only maker of sportsmans gear and it was and is still great.
Yet I also remember when every farmer welcomed us on his land and we showed our thanks by respecting his property. The thought of paying for the tresspass was unthinkable and the thought of buying a private hunting area was just not done. In fact in Alberta where I grew up, it was illegal. If posted "no hunting" you could not hunt it yourself. High fences and feeders hadn't been invented yet. It was well understood that wildlife belonged to everyone. Outfitters were ranchers trying to make a bit of cash in the fall. Most guys owned 1 rifle and a shotgun and a .22 for sure.Often this was to teach your children to shoot safely.
I read stories by Jack O'connor and his packtrips for sheep and elk. He loved the .270 and made a great case for it always. I lived from monthly "Outdoor Life" mag to Outdoor Life mag. Today there are chat rooms where rifle hunters are looked down on, Jack O'connor would not be welcome.
It seems like there is way too much money and hunting is now more of an industry than a sport. Hunting is only measured by the volume of game killed.
So are we really better off now, with our hi-teck everything and no place to hunt? For my two bits worth, I would gladly turn back the clock.
Happy Hunting