HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - max point blank range
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2005, 07:22 PM
bigbulls
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: max point blank range

I do not like to use the entire target size to figure my MPBR. I like to leave some room for error. By this I mean if I am shooting at a 12" diameter target you got six inches above and six inches below center. I would rather figure my MPBR for a target half the size. So I use three inches above and three inches below line of sight as my MPBR. This gives me room for error and still make a killing shot on an animal.

If you use the entire targets diameter then you can not make any mistakes at the bullets highest point or its maximum range/ lowest point. If you do something like flinch ever so slightly then your bullet will be off the mark and you get a wounded animal. Also you gotta figure that you, nor your rifle are going to be able to put every bullet into a single hole at all distances you may be shooting. You gotta leave room for things effecting the bullet that you can not control such as barrel vibrations, differances in velocity between shots, wind speed and direction, temperature, weather, altitude, etc...

Out of a 22 inch barrel with that bullet we will figure about 2850 fps muzzle velocity cause you aint gonna get the 3040 advertised. Being that you aren't shooting with a test barrel and you lost 2 inches.

Sight in to be hitting 2.5 inches high at 100 yards. That should put you three inches high at about 135 yards, back to zero at about 240 yards and about 3 inches low at 285 yards and at 300 yards about 4.5 incles low. Sighted in this way you will be able to hold on a deer out to almost 300 yards and not worry about any hold over.