HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What are your range experiences like?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 01:20 PM
gorse

Default RE: What are your range experiences like?

I use an indoor public range, operated by the county in which I live. A nice facility, operated by members of an area shooting club, on contract to the county. Nice bunch of guys - I haven't met one that I don't like. As for the other patrons...I've had no problems of which to speak. I was laughing with the RSO, just about a week ago, about all of the "sudden" deer hunters who had popped up...to sight in their rifles, just before the season. As someone else mentioned...here they are, dusting off their deer rifles (which had likely been in the closet, untouched since last season)....preparing to fire three or four rounds - before going after that "trophy buck". Very amusing. More so, since with so little practice, they probably couldn't hit that "trophy buck", even if it was close enough to tap them on the shoulder. So, as I enter the rifle bay, what do I see....a line of nice, shiny, barely used Winchesters, Remingtons, Rugers, etc.....all topped with Leupold 3 -9 x 40 scopes. Their owners, intently hunched over the adjusting turrets....trying to remember which way to turn the dials to move the POI up or down, etc. On the bench, beside their lovely rifles, sits an open and partially-used box of factory ammo....Remington, Winchester, Federal, etc. Oddly, the box looks a bit old and faded. Then I realise....that is the ONLY box of ammo they've ever purchased ! Too funny.

I do enjoy this time of year.....