HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - oh sweetie, don't gimme that shot again...
Old 10-15-2005, 07:32 PM
hoyt3
Typical Buck

Default oh sweetie, don't gimme that shot again...

well, I went out again today to this hot spot we have that is loaded with acorns. I haven't hunted it since my buddy killed his first with a bow there on tuesday. I asked him if I could borrow his stand because mine weighs a ton. I got in with little trouble and was set by four fifteen or so. The wind was howling, and I mean bad, like 45 kt gusts, no bs. I turned around at 1650 and saw a good doe about 20 yds from me. she fed, then became nervous, and left in no less than a hurry. I considered the day a sucess considering the wx. about 1800, a little button buck came in, and joined another small deer and they bedded about 50 yds away. here I am glassing two yearlings, when a big doe walks right in front of me at 15 yds! I was crouching to stretch my legs too. I have no idea how she did not see me moving around. she was around me for what seemed like forever. actually, it was about 15 mins. she was TOO close for a shot. like right under me. the three little ones were up and eating too. the doe got antsy and started stomping her foot. so, she starts walking away from me when I stop her with a grunt and let it go. the arrow took her about 3" below her spine and came out in front of the left leg. she took off like her tail was on fire (albeit it UP). I got down after shooing the little ones away about 10 mins later. I couldn't find my arrow, but found blood right away. it took me about ten mins in failing light to find her. she went about 50 yds. here is the interesting part. the last doe I took a shot at was about 38 or so yds, on a slight incline, and I was on the ground. I missed her, or just shaved her belly. I get this one home (and if you look closely you can see it) I see where this is the doe I 'missed'. missed the heart by and inch. I feel alot better now. this is my personal best fourth deer with a bow in one season. btw, we have shot three deer out of this one stand in 1 week. not bad. enjoy.