HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Benelli Nova 20 gauge rifled barrel?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 03:09 PM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: Benelli Nova 20 gauge rifled barrel?

Actually when you compare them there is not a huge difference between the 12 and 20 guage in slug performance. I mean there is, but it's not huge. And from what I have seen and heard the 20's tend to be a bit more accurate. They have a faster twist in the H&R's which might help with the faster bullets.

And if you get one of the Ultra's in 12 gauge you cannot swap out barrels. They take a 10 gauge barrel bored to 12 guage, that is how they get the heavy barrel. You can swap barrels, but only with a 10 gauge smooth bore barrel becuase they use the SB2 frame. And they are Heavy!

If you get the Ultra in a 20 gauge you can swap any smooth bore barrel in 12 or 20 gauge onto it. You would need a different fore grip as well. Or you could get a standard H&R shotgun or centerfire and swap a 20 gauge heavy barrel onto it. When you order the heavy barrels they come with the fore grip. keep in mind the standard shotgun will be lighter and kick a bit harder. However you can add the weight to the stock. All they use is a steel bar.

If I had it to do over again I would have gotten the 20 guage Ultra Deluxe instead. Then I could have gotten a turkey barrel for it as well.

And yes you can get a rifled barrel that cheap for an 870, but you can spend 200 and up on them as well depending on where you get them from or what they are. Are they worth the extra money? Probably not, some of the better hastings might be, but I've never shot one. I have a buddy that just got a rifled cantilever barrel from remington for his 870 and it was more than 200 I think. And I was not overly impressed with the quality or anything. It shoots good though, and is very light. And if you wanted a camo one it would be even more I think.

Also something to keep in mind if you get a dedicated slug gun like a H&R or Savage is the trigger will be better than a standard shotgun. Shotguns are not made to be triggered the same way a rifle is, so the triggers have a different pull to them. At least the ones I have shot anyway.

Paul