HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - makin a artifical scrape
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 11:34 AM
bighorns35
Fork Horn

Default RE: makin a artifical scrape

i have been making mock scrapes for a few years now. i try and place them where atleast 2 trails come together. 3-4 is even better. i keep my stand about 30 or so yards away from them. but i use the small flower bed shovel and rakes to turn the ground. i spray them down with scent a way first. i like to make the scrape 2-3 feet in diameter. like its the dominant scrape. i wear rubber boots and gloves also.but i put just buck urine in them until i start seeing the bucks start the cruising phase. then i switch to buck in rut and also will put doe in heat in them. i start my mock scrapes in middle of sept. just when you start seeing the scrapes appear. i freshen them up atleast once a week. until deer season starts. oct.15 here. then everytime i hunt that stand ill freshen them up. i also use a couple different kinds of scent sometimes to get the illusion of more than 1 buck is hitting that scrape. specially durring the rut. i want the dominant buck to get mad and keep trying to catch the others that are supposedly in his area. i also take the rake and will make 2-3 mock rubs in the area as well. so any buck passing thru will see them and come check them out and infestigate the whole set up.make sure you have a licking branch as well. thats the key part in scrapes...