HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Did I lime it enough?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2005, 11:21 AM
1sagittarius
Fork Horn

Default RE: Did I lime it enough?

ORIGINAL: Angus74
I put the lime on and disked the plots about a month or so before I planted them, and disked them again right before I put out the seed. Also what kind of fertilizer should I use on these kinds of plots?
Disking inLime is is the best way to do it. Some lime is good, more lime is better, it would be very difficult to over lime. Put more lime down each year/time you disk the plot.

PYseaker and wooddust are both partially right .... in that a higher ph will allow more nutrients (P and K) to be available to the plants which makes the plants healthier and taste better. If your PH is below 6 though, most of your Phosphorus and Potassium (P & K) will be bound up in the soil and not even available to your plants to utilize. When your PH is below 6, lime is more important than any fertilizer.

What was your soil test recommendations for legumes/clovers/alfalfa? I'm guessing it would be something like 0 Nitrogen, 80 lbs phosphorus, and 200 lbs per acre potassium. If you attempt to use 10-10-10, you can't get close to what legumes might need. 10-10-10 is for little old ladies in their flower gardens.Figure your Phosphorus first, get a fertillizer with as large a middle number as possible, like a 10-20-26 or similar, a 0-42-0 is great but hard to find lately. Then add enough 0-0-60, potassium, to get your K requirement. You will save time and $ by useing larger numbered fertilizers, to get to what your plot really requires.

But again, if your PH is below 6, spend 90% of your effort, time, money on as much lime as you can apply.