HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Razorcaps and Sharpening Stone
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 12:18 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Razorcaps and Sharpening Stone

I haven't done the Razorcap thing yet. Probably won't since I've got a boatload of Snuffers I need to use up, sooner or later.

They probably sharpen like Snuffers, or any other 3-blade cut on contact head though. Lay the head flat on the stone across two edges and make about 5 strokes from back to tip, then flip to the next two edges and repeat, then repeat on the last pair of edges. Keep flipping it around and honing until it's sharp. Finishing on a hard Arkansas stone, I think, is just as good as stropping the edges on leather. You just need a stone a bit wider than the blades.

If you just want to use leather, get some saddle leather about 10" long, wider than the blades so you can laythe headflat like you sharpened it,and glue it on a 1X4 board.Flesh side DOWN, smooth side UP. Then rub some jeweler's rouge into the leather and then strop the blades.

You can also do the same thing using some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper instead of leather.

I prefer to use a medium diamond hone for rough honing my blades and a fine grit one for the finish hone. A diamond hone doesn't dish out after being used awhile like actual honing stones do. It's always flat, and that's a good thing.