HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Opinions on Remington 700 ADL?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 12:52 PM
gorse

Default RE: Opinions on Remington 700 ADL?

IMO, the ADL is (was) one of the real bargains of the bolt-action world. They tend to be more accurate, out of the box, than the BDL or CDL....because the stock is stiffer in the action area (without the big hole for the floorplate)....and the action is naturally bedded better in the ADL. I've owned three of them....and all have been great rifles. I recently had two ADL synthetics, both in .308....and both would group 1 MOA or less, with proper ammo....after only a trigger adjustment. I have not had an ADL with the wood stock, so I can't comment on that model specifically...but I imagine the the same holds true for them. There is a lot to be said for a blind magazine-type rifle, especially when stock stiffness and accuracy "out of the box" is considered. The ADL model is, of course, exactly the same as any other Rem. 700, as regards the metal bits (action, barrel, etc.). It is only different because of the stock and magazine arrangement (and the metal finish).

The ADL, in my view, is the perfect "knockabout" rifle. I have always favored simple, less-expensive models anyway....about which I do not have to care too much. My ADL's served me very well. I would not hesitate to buy another - and in fact, if I ever look for another Remington, it will be an ADL (if I can find a good one...since they are now out of production). The new "SPS" is the same rifle, of course, just with a floorplate magazine and a different stock. Another small factor which attracted me to the ADL (and which was useful in the field) is the fact that, with no floorplate opening, there is less chance of water/ dirt getting into the action, in the field. I used my rifles hard, when I hunted quite a bit (much more than now).

If the ADL is available at a good price, which it should be, since it's a discontinued model - I would not hesitate for a moment in purchasing it.