HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - DIY Elk Hunt - Shelter Options
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 09:25 PM
ColoradoElk
Fork Horn

Default RE: DIY Elk Hunt - Shelter Options

Hi Bugs:

I have done 7-8 mile pack-in hunts the last few years, and ended up initially camping at about 11,500', in Colorado. Last year the snow drove me out a day early. I use the Cabelas Alaskan 8 man tent and it works well. I hate being cramped and love the tent, but will be changing strategies for future years as a result of the snow "potential".

You didn't say where you were headed, so, bear in mind, (pun intended) that the bear problem is bad this year, and probably will continue. Many of the forest service camp areas have banned camping in tents or soft-sided campers (all of them around my area), and I haven't seen that before. You might want to check and see if your areas has that restriction this year, if you were planning on going that route. My access point is in the White River National forest and the Gore Creek Campgroundhas those restrictions. The "caretaker" said many others do as well. The restrictions aren't listed on the website, I guess you have to show up to find out...

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/whiteriver/recreation/campgrounds/holycrosscg/gorecreekcg/index.shtml

Good luck,
CE