HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - So What Rifle to Buy for NY freshly passed law
Old 09-01-2005, 08:01 AM
Hunter John

Default RE: So What Rifle to Buy for NY freshly passed law

Still coming to grips with this rifle thing, but I'll get used to it with time I guess. Anyway, what rifle you ask? Since most deer will still continue to be taken within 100 yards regardless of firearm used, why would someone opt for a longer range, higher velocity, lighter bullet choice like the '06 or .270? If I were to decide today on a gun, it would be a .444, .35 Rem, .44 Rem or something like that.

If the gun shoots less than a 150 gr bullet or 30 cal. than I wouldn't consider it. Just MHO. This is NOT hunting in the open plains of the mid-west, it's hunting in NYS which has much thicker on average. Thinks short to mid range, not the 300 yard stuff. Whey take a chance on a lighter bullet deflecting after it hits a single of buck brush 1/4 of an inch thick? Yeah, big, slow, and the ability to cut brush...that's what I'd be looking for in a gun.

I some areas where I hunt, I'll still use a 12 gauge. Best of luck to you Rwalter63.

-Hunter John