HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Muzzy 3 Blade Vs. Stinger Magnus 4 Blade - Results
Old 08-01-2005, 06:36 PM
HuntingEd
Nontypical Buck

Default Muzzy 3 Blade Vs. Stinger Magnus 4 Blade - Results

Hey ya'll,
I recently started a post discussing what type of broadhead to purchase. Upon reading your helpful replies, I purchased Muzzy 3 Blade 125 gr. and Stinger Magnus 4 Blade 125 gr. I conducted a test to determine which tip I will carry in my pursuit of P&Y records.

First off: I do not claim to be an expert or a pro and this is my first test of this kind. I have been shooting bows since I was 7 years old, and have shot competitively w/ shotguns. I will claim to be an above average shot. Ialso have a degree in Mechanical Engineering- so I also claim a respectable understanding of trajectory and arrow dynamics.

Set Up: Hoyt Vtec, 72#, 29 in, Gold Tip Pro Hunter 5575, 125 gr. tip, Whisker bisquit rest, Topsight sight, mechanical release.

Test Conditions: 90+ degree Heat, 85% Humidity, *All tests performed w/ same three arrows. *Block Foam target

Testing Procedure:
I initally tested with field points at 25 yrds, acheiving a 4 in group. (warm up). I then tested the stinger's. My results were horrible. They corkscrewed in about a 2-3 ft diameter, resulting in terrible inaccuracy. Using your tips as a guide, I decided to attempt to tune my bow to correct this problem. Using the Guide posted on Easton's website, I paper tuned my bow. My tuning attempts resulted in finding my rest to be too far to the right. (the "pro" who I bought my bow from just 1.5 weeks ago set it up). I incrementally adjusted my rest and achieved a clean pattern in the paper. I thenre-sighted my bow at15 yrds achiving a 1.5 inch group. This boosted my confidence and proved to me that an amaturecan tune a bow. Ithen tested thetwo types of heads from 15 yrds.

RESULTS:
Based on a 5 pt scale, 5 being the highest.
Accuracy: Stingers 4.5
Muzzy 4.7
Penetration: Stingers4.8
Muzzy 4.3
Trajectory Stingers 4.2
Muzzy 4.5

Overall: I choose the Muzzy's. Based on arrow flight, the Stingers were very close in accuracy, but didnt seem to fly as smoothly from my bow as did the Muzzy's. The Stingers had slightly better Penetration, which is nice.The Muzzy's had more consistend arrow flight throughout the tuning process which makes me feel they are more forgiving to shooter error. Knowing that hunting conditions usualy promote difficult shots I will carry the Muzzy's due to this reason. I plan to try out the same broadheads again in a week or so, because I feel they are both superior broadheads.

Hope this was helpful to anyone who was struggling to choose a broadhead like I was. I do not claim to rival 5Shots excellent testing results, but this was the best I could do in my back yard.

Please let me know your comments, and thanks for keeping me from making the mistake of trying mechanical tips again. Everyone is right when they say it is TUNING that makes the difference. I achieved great accuracy with some simple tuning techniques, that without this forum I would have been missing game due to the affects.
(sorry to be longwinded, but im very excited bout hunting and cant stop thinking bout it)