HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - STRANGEST THING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN IN THE WOODS
Old 07-20-2005, 11:27 PM
Illini_Sportsman
Fork Horn

Default RE: STRANGEST THING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN IN THE WOODS

I absolutely LOVE these kinds of stories. Some have made me really think, some have made me look over my shoulder just sitting here in this computer chair and some have made me laugh my ass off in the span of about 15 minutes. Mine's nothing special, but might as well throw it in the mix for the fun of it.Just a few years ago during second shotgun season in Illinois, it was right at that point of dusk where you tell yourself "Well, better get outta this dang tree." Now my stand location this evening wasin the woods bordering a huge field. There were, on different parts of this field's edge, three other hunting buddies of mine. As I was just about to exit my stand, I heard from the woods about 80 yards or so to my left an absolute blood-curdling scream and swift, loud movement crashing through the brush.The screamwas certainly not human-sounding at all, but certainly not something I'd ever heard before in my entire life anywhere, even on television. You couldn't see anything 50 yards out or more in the darkness of the woods. Needless to say I sat right back down and placed a death grip on my 20 gauge. I immediately got on the radio and inquired to the guys if they'd heard it and what the hell it was. They'd all heard it, but nobody had any idea at all of what it was. We all agreed to meet in the middle of the field and leave the timber together so we did just that approximately 5 minutes later. To this day, I like to think it was some kind of bird or something, but I have no solid idea of what it really was. Makes me just a bit uneasy when I am leaving the woods in bow season with only a mini-maglight to guide me.