HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what kind of gun do you use for small game
Old 07-20-2005, 12:36 PM
SifuSkyler

Default RE: what kind of gun do you use for small game

ORIGINAL: live2hunt743
But i have a question for you Sifuskyler...

the two things i have against pellet gun hunting is that you have load each shot individually after firing and that you have to pump up the airguns. but it looks like the gun in the top photo has no pump which led me to wonder what makes the pellet go? also, wouldn't it just be more convient to buy a $140 .22 with a 10 round clip that buying a $100 airgun and modifying it? and finally, what caliber are the guns in your photos? sorry for all the questions but im a curious feller.
Well, not all airguns are single shot. Some of the nicer PCP (pre-charged pnuematics) are repeaters. They run off of scuba air, and produce as much, if not more fpe than a .22 rimfire(they are available up to .50 caliber). As far as pumping, yeah, I have to pump my pistol, but not my rifle. The rifleuses a piston systemto push the pelletdown the barrel at 1000 fps. It is a .177 caliber rifle (the pistol is the same caliber). Works well on anything upto the size of a possum or coon.There are larger calibers available for larger game. As far as buying the rimfire, where would I shoot it at? This is socal (southern california). We have to drive for 2 hours just to get to a legal shooting area, and those areas aren't fit for hunting. They are more like a line of guys with shotguns and 9mm, blasting anything they want, lol. Plus the cops are there harrasing everyone the whole time and running their gun's papers. I like to avoid those areas if possible. As far as your ten shot clip...I thoughtthe industry standardwas "One shot, one kill." Besides, what is the point ofa ten shot clip if the sound of your powder-burner scares the target off after the first shot? I can get several shots in beforemy target even knows what's going on (it's the difference between a light "thwock" and a heavy "BOOM!")Anyways, I don't have any trouble with the law when I stick with my air rigs. And I don't have any trouble harvesting rabbits, squirrels, and game birds with 'em either, so I think I'll stick with air power. Dont' get me wrong, I have owned my share of powder guns, but they are all for home defense. For field use, I like air. Taking a rabbit down with a round a little bigger than a grain of sand is quite satisfying.