HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best way to finish off a deer w/knife??
Old 07-20-2005, 10:47 AM
supaarcher

Default Best way to finish off a deer w/knife??

Ok, The reason I am asking this is because I am getting a Wirehaired Dachshund from John and Jolanta Jeannenue (Teckel Time) from New York that I am going to be training and working with for tracking wounded deer. Here in Wisconsin you cannot use a Bow or Firearm to finish off a deer in the dark, you can only use the weapon that is in season, and during legal hunting hours. I plan on getting into this tracking thing pretty deep, and doing alot of calls. The experieced trackers say about 25-30% of there deer-calls require the deer to be "finished off", so Im sure I will be running into this situation more often then I would like to.
I am just curious what you guys feel is the best way to dispatch a deer that is not dead, with a knife. I have read of guys jumping on them and either slitting there neck, or stabbing the knife into the chest, neither methods provide the quick death as we would like, but what do you think is the more ethical and quicker way to do it? Where in the neck is the best place to cut?
This is probobly something that we should all know, because most bowhunters will run into this situation now and then.
Thanks,
Steve