HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - STRANGEST THING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN IN THE WOODS
Old 07-15-2005, 04:12 PM
quiksilver
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: STRANGEST THING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN IN THE WOODS

Back in the day, I was doing some coon hunting with a buddy of mine. We thought we'd make a whole night of it, and we took the dogs andhiked back a mile or two into the mountains to an old homestead (foundation, graveyard, etc.)that sat in a hollow with a nice stream and a lot of little drainswhere we should pick up a few coons.

After a few hours, our batteries on the headlamps were getting low, and the dogshad a coontreed on the next ridge. We had to double-time it out there and get the dogs, shoot the coonand get home.

About halfway there, the dogs had stopped barking, and showed up at our side. They were acting really strange, wimpering and staying really close. We kept hearing something just out of sight moving around, but never made a visual. The dogs were up against our legs and the hair on their necks was standing on ends. They were like thatthe whole way home, scared to death.

These were three old Walker coonhounds that were battle-tested, and a whole bunch of mean. I don't know what they were afraid of, but I was scared out of my mind.

We hoofed it out of there in a matter of minutes, and it took each of us about 3 years to admit that we were terrified. I'll never hunt in that area in the dark again.